Need a snake removal service in the Western Cape?
Snake removal should be left to qualified and experienced snake handlers only.
If confronted with a snake remember these important points for safe snake removal:
- Make sure someone knows where the snake is at all times and is watching it from a safe distance of at least 5 metres
- Keep pets and people away from the area (preferably indoors)
- NEVER attempt to kill a snake or allow anyone else to do so.
- Many (up to 95%) bite cases result from a person interfering in some way with the snake
- In most cases it is against the law to kill a snake
- If the snake is indoors close any windows and doors leading to the room
- Place a towel along the base of the door to prevent the snake escaping if possible
Once the area is sealed off and/or the snake is being carefully observed, call one of us immediately
|Grant Smith||084 328 1001|
|Vard Aman||082 539 4452|
|Luke Bax||072 364 6507|
If you wish to describe the snake then try to liken it to everyday objects; The snake is as long as a rake and as thick as a wrist or about a ruler length and as thick as a little finger, for example.
Colouration and patterning may also assist in its identification beforehand. Note overall colouration and distinctive markings such as chevrons or banding if possible.
Another good indicator is the snakes defensive behaviour; does it spread a hood, spit venom or retract into an S-shape and hiss loudly?
However, this is not imperative and once the snake handler has secured the animal s/he will be able to identify the snake for you.
Most importantly, don’t panic! Don’t try to fix the problem yourself, remember that this is often how people get bitten. Stick to the guidelines and we’ll make every effort to remove the the snake safely and quickly.
We generally ask for a small fee or donation for this snake removal service to cover website, equipment, medical, fuel and snake rehabilitation costs where applicable. What is the service worth to you?
Snake Rescue and Public Safety = Priority No.1
We understand that not everyone is in a position to pay and in these cases we will still remove the snake as ultimately snake rescue is our priority!!
If you have any comments regarding this snake removal service payment structure – if you feel that it is in any way too high or too low – we
would really appreciate your feedback. There is an active discussion on the matter here.
Keep in mind that these funds are used directly for snake conservation and that you are helping us to keep going.
Finally, if you live outside of the region please call us anyway and we will make every effort to put you in touch with your local snake removal professional.
If you have used our snake removal service, we would love to hear from you. Your comments will help us to improve our service. Thanks!
Latest posts by Grant (see all)
- Snake Catcher Diaries: Are Snake Catchers Crazy or Not? - March 31, 2017
- Getting Whipped – by a Karoo Whip Snake! - February 20, 2017
- Even Snakes Get the Blues - February 9, 2017